Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Explaining the costs of international adoption

I wanted to expand on my older posts about the costs of adoption. The following was actually written by a fellow blogger and adoptive parent (although I did make some changes to reflect my personal situation), I hope she does not mind me sharing/editing this as it so aptly explains the costs of international adoption.

Those pursuing international adoption know how much it costs per country so I'm going to leave the actual total out because it is nobody's business but my own, but I'm sure everyone can imagine the total expenses are high. As a single person, I have fewer documents to gather and authenticate etc. and lower travel costs. I waited until I knew I could comfortably afford this adoption and the ensuing unpaid portions of my family leave before starting my process. The waiting was hard, but essential for my financial peace of mind - especially as a soon-to-be single parent. I chose to adopt from Kyrgyzstan because the program is single-friendly and as far as I know, not rife with corruption like it seems so many countries are. I think a lot of people have made good points about why they feel the fees they are paying are worth it. But with each check I write, I like to keep in mind that I'm paying fees for services that many wonderful people are providing me in an effort to unite my child with me:
  • I'm paying the people at my home study agency to prepare me for life as an adopted parent, through classes and reading.
  • I'm paying them to help me gather and file all my USCIS paperwork.
  • I'm paying their social worker to meet with me four times and write a 16-page report about me. I'm paying them to perform and write three post-placement reports for me.
  • I'm paying the people at CIS to go over all my paperwork and provide me with what I need to bring my child to this country.
  • I'm paying the people at my placing agency to help me navigate the confusing path of dossier preparation and document authentication. I'm paying them to answer every little question I have about Kyrgyzstan, adoption and post adoption. I'm paying them to advise me, to comfort me, to rally me. I'm paying them to guide me through my referral process and prepare me for travel.
  • I'm paying pilots and flight attendants to get me safely to and from Kyrgyzstan, twice. I'm paying hotel staff to keep me warm and dry and comfortable. I'm paying cooks and waiters to keep me fed.
  • In country, I'm paying for the services of translators, guides, drivers and the adoption coordinator, whose specialty it is to navigate this very confusing and utterly unfamiliar territory for me.
  • I'm paying for the services of people in the Kyrgyzstan government whose job it is to make sure the orphans of their country find safe and loving homes. I'm paying for the time and effort of the people at the U.S. Embassy in Almaty who will see to it my child can legally enter the U.S. as my child.
  • And perhaps most importantly, I'm paying for the services of the people who have been sheltering, feeding, clothing, changing, protecting, doctoring and nurturing my child, 'round the clock, for at least 6 months of her life.

No comments: