Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas 2012

It was a really nice Christmas. We spent Christmas Eve afternoon at my grandma's house.
Grandma sets a beautiful table.
Christmas morning
Making funny faces
Talking on her phone
What is it?
 It's a crepe pan!
 Ball popper from the au pair
Push toy just like the one at daycare - she loves it!
 She loves it so much she wanted to take it down the slide!
 Kitchen from her Aunt & Uncle
Christmas dinner at my cousins house
Since having my daughter, I have a whole new understanding and appreciation for all my parents sacrificed for my brother and me all year, especially at Christmas. I had a good childhood. We had everything we needed, and a lot of what we wanted, in life. Both of my parents worked throughout most of my school-age years. We weren't drowned in luxuries at Christmas time like some of our friends were. I like to think I wasn't jealous of my friends who had more extravagant Christmases but I probably was, as kids so often are. When the pre-arranged time came on Christmas morning that we were allowed to get up, I would run into Mom and Dad's room and make the announcement. Mom and Dad would groan at me and ask for more time. I would say no and probably whine a lot. Now I know why they needed the time - they were completely exhausted from all the working, shopping, assembling and wrapping, baking, prepping! Eventually they would drag themselves selves out of bed. It was at that point that mom would tell us we would open presents after she was done in the bathroom and Dad made a cup of coffee. Holy TORTURE!! I would do it, only because I had no choice. Finally, when the coffee was flowing it would be time to open presents. We usually did stockings first and then everything else. I could go on all day about all my amazing memories of Christmas. Point is, maybe we didn't have the most extravagant things under our tree, but we had so much LOVE, all year and at Christmas. My parents worked hard and made sure I knew what was important. I can only hope I'm doing the same for my daughter.
Enough with the reminiscing, I need to get my butt in gear for our trip because our flight leaves tomorrow!  It was definitely not my idea to go to Vegas with a toddler but, I do it because it means getting to see my brother & SIL for the holidays. The real problem is that here we are, 12 hours out, and I'm not finished packing and I'm still doing laundry. So, the next time you hear from me, I will be in the desert. I can’t wait. On the agenda...Las Vegas for 5 days with my brother and SIL. Then they fly home and the three of us (me, dd, au pair) will drive to California to stay with my parent's best friends for a week.

But first I have to actually get ready to go.

No comments: