Friday, March 16, 2012

RIP Tika (1998-2012)

My dog Tika passed away today. She would've been 14 years old next month, I had her for seven years, and she was the first dog I've ever had. She was loved by the whole family, but she was an alpha bitch, and I mean that as a term of endearment. She was possessive of her space and toys, she let you know who was in charge, she was very stubborn, and thought the world revolved around her.
But, on the other hand she was very loving, she would sing (howl) which was so cute, and she watched over us.
She was playful and was not subtle about hinting for a belly rub.
If you didn't have food to give her Tika would just lay on the floor, provided there was a nice rug to shed her fur on, and wait for you to drop some food.

Tika always loved to be photographed.

A couple years ago she was diagnosed with arthritis so we began a regimen of arthritis medicine. All seemed well again.

She grew older. Cataracts. Going nearly deaf. She could no longer tolerate anyone touching her hind legs because of pain, and although she requires regular grooming I couldn't take her because she would try to bite the groomer. My gut was telling me it was time to consider putting her down but this was my furry friend.

About seven months ago I asked the vet to put her on pain medication and that helped but I knew it was only a short term fix. And then recently she started pooping & peeing in the house. I knew it was time. Still, I was confused because she was eating normally and she would run up the stairs to get in the house, but she was now defecating in the house and was struggling for 5 minutes just to lay down on the floor. For whatever reason, Tika's body was not ready to die but it was time.

Today I called my brother to tell him what was happening and get his opinion. He agreed that I needed to get her to the vet asap. When I picked her up and lifted her into the car she seemed lighter than before. When we got to the animal hospital the vet tech weighed her and said she had lost 8 pounds since they had seen her last. I knew she had lost weight, but when I learned the drastic weight loss my heart sank. I had to then wait over an hour for the vet because of an animal emergency. I knew I was gonna have to make a heart wrenching decision. I finally met with the vet and discussed the situation and options. Ultimately I knew what I had to do, but it doesn't make it any easier.

I like to think that she's in heaven now taking long walks with my mom & dad. I miss her so much already.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I am soo sorry for your loss.. she was beautiful and i am sure she is happy that you have Serena to take care of you now. :)