Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Back to the Corporate Grind

A few weeks ago I started a new job and it has been quite the change, but a necessary one. I went back to school last fall and completed my Phlebotomy certification. I knew that was not what I wanted to do, my goal is to continue with my studies, but unfortunately I did not get into the Surgical Tech program near my home. So, I was forced to step back and reevaluate what I was going to do next.  I reached out to former colleagues, and a few weeks after that I had two job interviews, and I received two offers! Yea me!

While reviewing the two offers I had an important decision to make about what is best for me and my daughter. In the end, I chose the job that offered me the most flexibility, and not necessarily the most job security.  If you recall, I left corporate america back in July 2010 following a year of pure hell in both my personal and professional life. But I was able to pull myself up from the deep-end, now focusing on raising my daughter and moving forward. I have thoroughly enjoyed this time of self-discovery and time with my daughter. Throughout the ups and downs, I’ve learned a lot about myself. Where will I be one year from today? I have no idea, but if it’s up to me it’s in a positive direction.

Obviously, not working is not an option, and I didn't expect things to remain as they were forever -- I savored it as much as I could for that reason. I miss her so much, but I know that she's doing just fine. While it is certainly not my dream job, a steady paycheck and benefits are what we need right now so I have to suck it up. While I would love nothing more than to be a stay-at-home mom, as a single mom it's just not possible, I simply cannot give up the healthcare benefits that a FT job provides. I’ve been without good health insurance for 2 years, and we were completely without health insurance for a few months this year. Seriously, if you’re lucky enough to have good health insurance, thank your lucky stars. People like me are envious of people like you. So you better believe when my health insurance cards comes next month that I’ll be so relieved.

In related news, our au pair was on vacation the last couple weeks so I was totally on my own. I love our au pair but it was nice to just be in the house alone with my daughter. What did give me anxiety was not having that backup care, it was yet another reminder that my parents are not here. Thankfully, while the au pair was on vacay I was able to put Nina in daycare full-time. I'm not working crazy long hours (at least not yet) so there were no problems dropping off and picking her up at daycare on time. It does make me a little nervous that my female boss does not have children, so the you-don't-have-kids-so-you-don't-understand thing applies, but so far it has been a non-issue. I used to be a workaholic and stay long hours, but now my focus has changed.  I want to be successful at my job, but at the same time I need/want to be there for my daughter. 

I'm working on a new schedule with the au pair and with daycare. Currently, she spends a few days per week at home with the au pair, and a few days at daycare.  Next spring (before our au pair goes back for good next June) I will have to decide what childcare option(s) I will need? I'm already pricing childcare options but the costs aren't the only deciding factor for me.

No comments: